Fantasy Sporting

Postby Diesel » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:37 am

After our drafts are over and the season has started, other than mid season leagues there is a fantasy void that is being filled with online sites that cater to us fantasy nuts.

These websites offer weekly games with salary caps. Each player is a free agent with a salary, and it's up to you to fill a fantasy starting lineup and stay within the website's allocated cap.

These games fall under a realm in which I call "Fantasy Sporting". A great idea because it's a business that many will try and some will be full timers playing it. In my opinion, it is the equivalent of poker sites, which offer many different options for people that just can't get enough fantasy, and the fact that these games can be played with any sport, it makes it a year round industry.

I love fantasy football, and I enjoy the idea of expanding games and playing the games with new twists, but I also have a tendency to not trust anything that I have any doubt about in business.

In these leagues, you have the option to play against 1 opponent, or as many as 3000. I've dabbled in a few of these contests and I always copy and paste my opponents' rosters as gametime comes, so I have peace of mind that no one was able to change their players during the day. But I have my limit, and if I join their 3000 player BIG PRIZE payout leagues, there is no way that I or anyone else is going to copy 2999 team rosters and double check them at the beginning and end of games each week. So it leads me to wonder if a site can just edit a team or three or ten as the games go along to make sure certain teams win. Teams that may be bringing the monies back into the website.

Does anybody have any opinions on these sites? Fantasy Sporting has potential and I feel that even the NFFC can look at some of these options in the future, but games like these have to be legit and have proof enough that people would feel comfortable playing all the time. Are my doubts the main reason why the NFFC or FFPC have never offered these contests? Fanball had snapdraft, but Fanball is gone and I'm not about to beat a dead horse with that whole situation.

Thoughts?
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."
Diesel

Fantasy Sporting

Postby Diesel » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:20 am

BUMP

Is this subject taboo or am I the only person who's ever played snapdraft or fanduel games? Or did I input too much in one post for message board attention span?

Diesel

Fantasy Sporting

Postby Diesel » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:06 pm

Thanks for the input guys. I'm glad these boards are alive and kicking. LOL

Diesel

Fantasy Sporting

Postby King of Queens » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:48 pm

"Like my boy tells me: If it looks like a rat and smells like a rat, by golly, it is a rat."
King of Queens

Fantasy Sporting

Postby Ry's Guys » Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:23 pm

Marc,
Sorry I generally don't look at anything but that top section. I agree with you. I've played that fan duel a couple times but I feel the same way. Only play head to head but would love to see someone I trust do this!
Pat Sorge
Ry's Guys

Fantasy Sporting

Postby Diesel » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:59 am

Pat and Glenn, both good points. I didn't notice there were replies here until just now. That top section seems to get the only traffic on this site for a while now.

I agree I would play these games and games like these, if there were more ways to show me things are lock down, solid, fair, no chance of cheating, games.

I wonder if the NFFC ran "sit n go" DC leagues, if that would spur interest. Imagine having a "4 people sit n go DC" on the homepage? You'd sign up only if you've got a day with a couple hours to spare because once all 4 people sign up, an email is sent to you with your draft slot and you'd draft an hour from then. Drafts would probably only take 40 minutes and it would be DC format, just let it ride. I would play this sort of game. Much less possibility for collusion. Even if I were drafting against 3 friends, I believe it would take SO much more work to cheat, then to just draft and play.

Diesel

Fantasy Sporting

Postby Diesel » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:06 am

If the NFFC dove into the slow draft market even deeper, they can do what other sites have done in the past. The home page would have signup options with immediate payment right there, and as soon as the 12th(or 14th) owner signs up, all teams are mailed their random draft slots and the draft begins. You will each have 12 hours per pick, so everyone will be ready to go, just like that. If this were possible, it would make things MUCH easier for Greg and Tom in the long run too. The personal touch is why many of us return, but leagues like this wouldn't require much attention by Greg or Tom unless there is a rollback problem during the draft.

Diesel

Return to Fantasy/NFL Talk