NFFC/NBC RULES VS WCOFF & FFPC

Postby bill » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:38 am

I have been reading over the scoring rules of NFFC, NBC, WCOFF and FFPC. Wanted to share my thoughts.

NFFC/NBC I like their set-up the best. In particular: reversing the draft order in round 3 is an excellent idea. Letting owners input draft # preferences is nice also.
Giving lost fumbles a -1 is appropriate. I was very surprised to see that in the FFPC and WCOFF there is no penalty for lost fumbles. I am used to being in leagues where lost fumbles are -2. But, I think -1 is probably best partly because of the randomness of who recovers a fumble in most cases.
A thought on D scoring. I am used to yardage against counting. But that seems minor and no big deal that this category is not used in any of these leagues.
But defense points against seems to me like it should be a very important category.
WCOFF gives only 1 point to a D that gives up 6 points.
FFPC gives no points to a D that gives up 11 points. Giving up 11 points in today's NFL is still a pretty good game. With the FFPC a D that gives up 30 points scores the same as a D that gives up 11.
The D scoring for points against in the NFFC/NBC appears much better to me:
12pts shutout
8pts 2-7 points against
4pts 8-12 points against
2pts 13-17 points against

I prefer the 12 team NBC to the 14 team NFFC. But only because that is what I am used to. Would not mind trying a 14 team league but not sure of the differences in strategy between a 12 or 14 (fewer good free agents in 14?). I really liked the rule of using the all play in weeks 12-13 in the NBC. Creative and great idea!!

In my humble opinion the NFFC/NBC is more attractive with including the draft reversal, giving draft preferences, including lost fumbles and having a better defense points against category.

I would like to hear what others think.
bill

Postby TURBOUGH » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:10 am

I think you'll like both leagues. Obviously this is my first with FFPC but I'm liking everything I see so far.

I can't ever see leaving the NFFC. Greg has been great to work with and although I haven't won any money here, I love the league and format.

I do like FFPC defensive scoring but do wish they'd add negative points for lost fumbles. You lose for interceptions, why not fumbles.

Hopefully you'll enjoy both leagues. There is really no doubt that you will.

Good Luck!!!

Daryl
TURBOUGH

Postby bill » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:09 am

I have participated in the message boards at FFPC, WCOFF and here over the past couple days. I have gambled on the NFL games and been a big fan for about 30 years. But, I have only been playing fantasy for 3 years. I love it! But I am noticing that some of viewpoints are different from many of the veteran high stakes players.
For example, I like the strategy of choosing the D match-up each week and I really enjoy watching the game my D is playing in. I like to see D yards against and points against be important. I have no problem with a great D performance scoring about the same as a great QB or RB performance.
But, some of the posts I am reading are suggesting that we get rid of the D or keep the points low for the D so they are not much of a factor.
Oh well, maybe as I play fantasy football for more years I will start to see why fantasy players are losing interest in the D.
bill

Postby pizzatyme » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:35 am

Bill,

I agree with you about the defenses. Either make them more important when it comes to strategy, or get rid of them.

Same with Kickers.
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.
pizzatyme

Postby Shrink Attack » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:00 pm

I also agree about Defenses. More Fantasy points should be awarded for lower points allowed.

Kickers, on the other hand, are a total crap shoot. Increasing their value increases the luck factor, and would therefore cheapen the contest.
"Deserve" ain't got nothin' to do with it
---Clint Eastwood in The Unforgiven
Shrink Attack

Postby pizzatyme » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:56 pm

Originally posted by Shrink Attack:
I also agree about Defenses. More Fantasy points should be awarded for lower points allowed.

Kickers, on the other hand, are a total crap shoot. Increasing their value increases the luck factor, and would therefore cheapen the contest.
I disagree. I think they are an afterthought and therefore cheapen the contest anyway. Atleast make them more valuable, so they come into play in the draft strategy.

Even TK said, he just waits and grabs whatever is left for K (paraphrasing).
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.
pizzatyme

Postby Greg Ambrosius » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:45 pm

Originally posted by bill:
I have been reading over the scoring rules of NFFC, NBC, WCOFF and FFPC. Wanted to share my thoughts.

NFFC/NBC I like their set-up the best. In particular: reversing the draft order in round 3 is an excellent idea. Letting owners input draft # preferences is nice also.
Giving lost fumbles a -1 is appropriate. I was very surprised to see that in the FFPC and WCOFF there is no penalty for lost fumbles. I am used to being in leagues where lost fumbles are -2. But, I think -1 is probably best partly because of the randomness of who recovers a fumble in most cases.
A thought on D scoring. I am used to yardage against counting. But that seems minor and no big deal that this category is not used in any of these leagues.
But defense points against seems to me like it should be a very important category.
WCOFF gives only 1 point to a D that gives up 6 points.
FFPC gives no points to a D that gives up 11 points. Giving up 11 points in today's NFL is still a pretty good game. With the FFPC a D that gives up 30 points scores the same as a D that gives up 11.
The D scoring for points against in the NFFC/NBC appears much better to me:
12pts shutout
8pts 2-7 points against
4pts 8-12 points against
2pts 13-17 points against

I prefer the 12 team NBC to the 14 team NFFC. But only because that is what I am used to. Would not mind trying a 14 team league but not sure of the differences in strategy between a 12 or 14 (fewer good free agents in 14?). I really liked the rule of using the all play in weeks 12-13 in the NBC. Creative and great idea!!

In my humble opinion the NFFC/NBC is more attractive with including the draft reversal, giving draft preferences, including lost fumbles and having a better defense points against category.

I would like to hear what others think.
Great post Bill and I would have said that even if you had favored another contest's rules over ours. Very well thought out. We do have different rules and setups than other contests and it's for a reason: We've listened to our players over the years and tweaked the format to their liking. We haven't listened to every idea of theirs, but 3RR and KDS and increased defensive scoring have all come from input from our customers and all I had to do was implement those ideas.

I agree that all of the games have positives to them and you'll like any of the formats out there. Get a feel for what you like, get to know the customers on the message boards, talk to the game operators personally if you can and then make a wise choice on your contest for 2008. In the end, play the contest where you'll enjoy it the most.

Stay in touch and give me a holler sometime. I'd love to discuss our format more with you and get more ideas on how we can make our contest even better. Good luck in all your leagues this year.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Editor, Fantasy Sports Magazine
Greg Ambrosius

Postby bill » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:54 am

I noticed that some posters mentioned that a higher 1st place prize would make the NFFC more attractive. I have a different view. When I saw the $300,000 1st prize at WCOFF it gave me a bad impression. My first thought was with that big of a 1st place prize the money for other places would be much lower. The odds of winning first overall are so low that I prefer the prize money being spread out more for other places.

Even with the NFCC I would prefer something like this.
1st $50,000 vs $100,000
2nd $30,000 vs $15,000
3rd $18,000 vs $7,500
4th $12,000 vs $2,500
5th $8,000 vs $1,300
6th $6,000 vs $1,300
7th $4,000 vs $1,300
8th $2,000 vs $1,300

I realize for marketing purposes the league probably gets more entries by advertising a very high overall 1st place prize. But, for me lower $ for overall first place and higher $ for league champions and top 2-8 overall is more attractive.
Greg, great job setting all this up! I know I want to join one main event for sure but having some trouble making up my mind between NFFC and NBC. Also, I am very interested in fantasy baseball and look forward to getting involved in your league in the spring.
bill

Postby Shrink Attack » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:26 am

Greg, great job setting all this up! I know I want to join one main event for sure but having some trouble making up my mind between NFFC and NBC.
Simple answer, bill...DO BOTH!!
"Deserve" ain't got nothin' to do with it
---Clint Eastwood in The Unforgiven
Shrink Attack

Postby bill » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:18 am

Originally posted by Shrink Attack:
quote:
[b] Greg, great job setting all this up! I know I want to join one main event for sure but having some trouble making up my mind between NFFC and NBC.
Simple answer, bill...DO BOTH!! [/b][/QUOTE]It is tempting to do both. Guess I am being a little conservative. Highest entry league I have joined in the past has been $200. I know it would be a lot of fun. I have been working on some rationalizations.
I usually set aside close to $2,000 to gamble on NFL games. Thinking about not doing that for the first time in a long time and using the gambling money for fantasy entries. But, I enjoy gambling on the games almost as much as the fantasy football. Also, I was planning a trip to Brazil sometime soon and was thinking, why not just skip the trip for now and use the money I would have spent for 2 main event entries.

OR live life to the fullest

and gamble on the games and enter NBC and enter NFFC AND go to Brazil

Decisions, Decisions

I need to stop being so damn conservative. I am 50 now and will probably wind up dying with plenty of money I never got around to enjoying unless I change my style!!
bill

Next

Return to NFFC Rules Discussion