Expand playoff rosters

Postby Route Collectors » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:39 am

I think I speak for the "masses..guppies and all the hicks here in Indiana" when I say YES to playoff roster expansion. :D

Seriously Greg...where do we stand on this? It seems this topic has had alot of support in discussions on this MB and we still aren't moving forward.

My proposal would be to expand playoff rosters to 20 during the last week of F/A signing to bolster our rosters for the final 3 weeks.

Actually this is Gekkos proposal from at least 3 years ago but I'm definately a proponant. is there any reason we can't get this implemented for 2009?

[ November 07, 2008, 03:13 PM: Message edited by: Route C ]
Route Collectors

Expand playoff rosters

Postby Gordon Gekko » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:58 am

big thumbs up here! :D
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?
Gordon Gekko

Expand playoff rosters

Postby Greg Ambrosius » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:16 am

Originally posted by Route C:
I think I speak for the "masses..guppies and all the hicks here in Indiana" when I say YES to playoff roster expansion. :D

Seriously Greg...where do we stand on this? It seems this topic has had alot of support in discussions on this MB and we still aren't moving forward.

My proposal would be to expand playoff rosters to 20 during the last week of F/A signing to bolster our rosters for the final 3 weeks.

Actually this is Gekkos proposal from at least 3 years ago but I'm definately a proponant. is there any reason we can't get this implemented for 2009?
Well, it's a worthy topic of discussion, but it's very tough to implement across the board. When do you add two players, after Week 11, 12, 13?? How do you do it, just pick up two more players in Week 13's FAAB and not cut anyone?? What happens if not everyone does that and some teams have 18 players and some have 20??

I'm sure there are ways to look around each question, but it's not a slam dunk to just add two players at the end of the regular season. Teams could very well come into the Championship Round and Consolation Round with different roster sizes.

But again, I'll read the arguments for and against and consider for 2009.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Editor, Fantasy Sports Magazine
Greg Ambrosius

Expand playoff rosters

Postby mikeybok » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:23 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
quote:
[b] I think I speak for the "masses..guppies and all the hicks here in Indiana" when I say YES to playoff roster expansion. :D

Well, it's a worthy topic of discussion, but it's very tough to implement across the board. When do you add two players, after Week 11, 12, 13?? How do you do it, just pick up two more players in Week 13's FAAB and not cut anyone?? What happens if not everyone does that and some teams have 18 players and some have 20??

I'm sure there are ways to look around each question, but it's not a slam dunk to just add two players at the end of the regular season. Teams could very well come into the Championship Round and Consolation Round with different roster sizes.

But again, I'll read the arguments for and against and consider for 2009. [/b][/QUOTE]It would be nice to carry one or two more for the last 4 weeks in the NFFC 18 player teams. I think 20 is enough for the NBC ... an allowing you to expand the last FA week doesn't kill free agency.
Hakuna Matata!
mikeybok

Expand playoff rosters

Postby Route Collectors » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:44 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
quote:
[b]

[/b][/QUOTE]Why would it matter if some rosters have 18..19..or 20? Some rosters currently have more than 1 player on IR and the owners have FAAB left but choose not to use it...so they have a 16 man roster while others have 18.

Unless this is a software issue I don't see the significance. Everyone starts with 18 players and 1000K F/A budget. Everyone has the same opportunity to save F/A $$ for playoff expansion.

Free agency runs as usual through week 12 when rosters expand to 20.

I see no downside to this idea but alot of upside in deepening our rosters and protecting against the injury bug. It may not amount to much but if your customers want it..why not give it to them?
Route Collectors

Expand playoff rosters

Postby Route Collectors » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:47 am

Also...if this is a software issue...can we add 2 roster spots to every team prior to the last F/A pickup either as blanks or called by name...player X etc... to make the spot legit.

Seems like a very doable thing really.
Route Collectors

Expand playoff rosters

Postby Ted's Cracked Head » Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:24 pm

IMHO, I would expand the NFFC rosters to 20 from the start.

I get the fact that MORE players will be pulled from the pool making FA less important....blah - blah - blah.

My answer to that is we currently draft 20 players in the 12 team NBC Primetime leagues and I think 12 team leagues are easier to draft/manage than 14. If one of these challenges needs larger rosters, it is the 14 team leagues.

I think that team depth for 14 team leagues is more important than a slightly deeper FA pool, especially when forking up this much cash.

Just my 6c (inflation).
My mama says she loves me but she could be jiving too! BB King
Ted's Cracked Head

Expand playoff rosters

Postby Route Collectors » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:05 am

Is anyone else going to weigh in on this or have all the regulars gone on vacation?

Greg...where did you go....thought we were discussing this topic.
Route Collectors

Expand playoff rosters

Postby Coltsfan » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:14 am

I am all for expanding the rosters to 20. Most of the big waiver wire pickups weren't guys that were going to be drafted even if the roster size was 20. I just think that fantasy football players should be rewarded for putting together a deep team and not have to drop their upside picks or backups during the bye weeks.

Wayne
Coltsfan

Expand playoff rosters

Postby Coltsfan » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:15 am

I would be one of the Indiana hicks! :D

Wayne
Coltsfan

Next

Return to NFFC Rules Discussion