Primetime Discussion

Tom Ravey Is Week 15 Primetime Winner

Postby Tom Kessenich » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:27 am

Congratulations to Tom Ravey whose Insane Monkeys team led the way in the Primetime event last week with 197.65 points.

A huge week from Aaron Rodgers (47.35 points) was key in the big week. DeSean Jackson (26.9), the Baltimore defense (22) and Rashard Mendenhall (20.1) also had big weeks.

For finishing first last week, Tom wins a Roy Williams Autographed Dallas Cowboys Mini Helmet from Buzzserports.com. Buzzserports is shaking up the Sports Memorabilia Market one item at a time. Find the guaranteed best deals on Sports Memorabilia items at Buzzersports.com.

Congratulations again to Tom and good luck to everyone in the Primetime this week.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich
Tom Kessenich

Postby Tom Kessenich » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:09 am

It’s not often a fantasy owner can survive a suspect season from his top running backs. But not only has Tom Ravey been able to do that, he’s found himself within striking distance of the grand prize in the National Fantasy Football Championship’s Primetime event as a result.

It certainly doesn’t hurt when your starting quarterback has the game of his life in a critical playoff week.

That was the case in Week 15 for Ravey when he was the beneficiary of a monster game from Green Bay’s Aaron Rodgers. Rodgers delivered 47.35 points to help Raven’s Insane Monkeys team top the Primetime field last week with 197.65 points.

DeSean Jackson (26.9), the Baltimore defense (22) and Rashard Mendenhall (20.1) also had big weeks. That strong production has Ravey’s team 16th overall in the event. He’s currently 85 points behind the No. 1 team and while that’s a lot of ground to make up in the final week, Ravey has played this game long enough to know anything can happen.

The run to a possible national championship has come despite the fact Ravey has endured some difficulties at the running back position.

“My running backs have been a crap shoot,” he said. “I drafted LT in Round 2 but was able to survive his slow start. And I drafted Reggie Bush in Round 4.”

On the plus side, he hit on some running backs after that who have provided some quality production in the second half of the season. He drafted Beanie Wells in the sixth round, LeSean McCoy in the eighth and Rashard Mendenhall in the 11th.

“There aren’t really any studs there but no real duds either,” Ravey said. “I was able to get some wins against lesser teams in my league until my running backs woke up.

“Going into the draft, I wanted to get a top quarterback and I got Aaron Rodgers in Round 3. I also wanted to get a few top wide receivers and I got Randy Moss in the first round, DeSean Jackson in Round 5 and Donald Driver in Round 7.”

That’s a good core of talent at wide receiver and quarterback but even with those top players on his roster, Ravey admits he was taken aback by how the regular season played out for his team in the Primetime event.

“The thing that really surprised me was being the top point team in the league,” he said. “The hardest part about (the NFFC) leagues is the Waiver Wire. I had a hard time determining what to bid for a player.”

Things have worked out to this point for Ravey, though, and with one week left in the NFFC season he’s still in the hunt for the $40,000 grand prize.

However, he knows that while anything can happen in a playoff week he’ll need the fantasy gods to be on his side to move up from 16th to the top spot when the dust settles and the season has come to a close.

“Unless I get a Jerome Harrison week from nearly every member on my roster I’ll probably finish in the middle of the pack,” he said. “But we’ll see what happens.”

The 51-year-old Ravey is married and lives in the North Hills of Pittsburgh. He works for PNC bank as a trainer in the Treasury Management Division.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich
Tom Kessenich

Postby Sandman62 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:15 pm

Nice job Tom. See? Early-round RBs are overrated. Maybe when 1/2 PPR for RBs was originally instituted, it was in an environment w/ much less RBBC? But in NFFC scoring format, QBs and WRs (and top TEs) can carry a team.

Good luck this week Tom. Go Rodgers! :D
Sandman62

Return to Primetime Discussion